Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2018 16:57:51 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Limits to seeding /dev/random | random(4)

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:58:35 -0600
Ian Lepore wrote:

> When asking our prng gurus for advice on writing a device driver for
> an on-chip entropy source, the advice I got was basically: there's no
> need to feed in more entropy on an ongoing basis, but no harm in
> doing so either, within reason. The recommendation was to feed at or
> below an average rate of about 128 bits/second. Pushing in more isn't
> harmful, just wasteful of system resources because it doesn't make
> anything better.

This is a bit simplistic because it ignores the way that fortuna
stripes entropy across 32 pools.

In order to fully secure the prng at boot time you need to get 256 bits
of entropy into it, and to guarantee that you need to have 256 bits in
pool[0], which means you need to write 256*32=8192 bits into the random
device. This should be done as early in the rc.d boot process as
possible. Once the pools are primed you could trickle entropy in in
smaller amounts if you wish.