Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:30:48 +1100
From:      "Corey Ralph" <corey.ralph@datafast.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dedicated smtp relay box

Hello.

I run a freebsd 4.2 qmail mail server, serving 20k or so mailboxes
across 300 domains, and relaying for anywhere up to 1500 modem lines,
plus microwave clients.

Since installing antivirus software on our qmail server, the load has
increased dramatically.  It has on average 200 qmail-smtpd processes
running, and available memory fluctuates from 195MB to about 50MB out of
1.7GB.  I suspect that this is due to the increased time taken to
process each message.  I am concerned that if I open up the smtpd limit
that it will run out of RAM.

So, I am looking for a way to shift some of the load.  My theory so far
is to set up a seperate smtp server for the relaying, and redirect the
traffic from the firewall or router, so that the main mail server will
only handle the hosted domains, not the relaying.  Removing the virus
scanning for outgoing messages is not an issue, we only really want it
for incoming anyway.

I came across zmailer (www.zmailer.org) and they claim it is just the
thing for this kind of job.  Does anybody have any experience with it?
They say there have been some major changes in the mime handling etc, is
it solid enough?

Or should I just set up another qmail box?  Or is there a simple way
that I am missing?

Cheers,
Corey