Date:      21 Feb 2005 18:00:38 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Bachelier Vincent <vincent_bachelier@yahoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mount in user mode && USBD for external HDD

Bachelier Vincent <vincent_bachelier@yahoo.fr> writes:

> Hi, well
> I have 2 problems
> the first:
> I have external hdd and I want that the system create a symlinks when I turn on my hdd
>
> usbdev -v
> give me:
> Controller /dev/usb4:
> addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000), VIA(0x0000),rev 1.00
>  port 1 powered
>  port 2 powered
>  port 3 addr 2: high speed, self powered, config 1, USB TO IDE(0x0702), GenesysLogic(0x05e3), rev 0.02
>  port 4 powered
>  port 5 powered
>  port 6 powered
>  port 7 powered
>  port 8 powered
>
> Well I want to add a script in usbd.conf
>
> then I have add this before device "USB device"
>

> device "HddCombo"
>         devname "da[0-9]+"
>         vendor 0x05e3
>         product 0x0702
>         attach "ln -sf /dev/{DEVNAME} /dev/hddcombo"
> (perhaps {DEVNAME}s1 is better)
> but it doesn't work

What do you mean by "doesn't work"?

> My version of freebsd:
> uname -a
> FreeBSD vincent 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #0: Sat Feb 19 19:03:33 CET 2005   root@vincent:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VINCENT  i386
>
> Well, when I connect my hdd nothing append
> just this in dmesg
> umass0: Genesys Logic USB TO IDE, rev 2.00/0.02, addr 2
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <Maxtor 6 Y160P0 0811> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
> da0: 156334MB (320173056 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 19929C)
>

> Ok, the second problem is that I want to mount this disk with a user
> If hddcombo is correctly link, I have this fstab line
> /dev/hddcombo              /mnt/removable  ext2fs  ro,noauto       0       0
>
> Well, how can I do a mount command in users mode, in order to allow people I want to mount this, without login in in root

There's a FAQ entry on letting users mount filesystems, but in this
case it seems like it would be easier for users (as well as more
secure) if you just configured usbd to mount the disk itself.  I
haven't done this sort of thing myself, but I would expect that doing
the mount in an attach script (and umount in a detach script) would
solve the problem.