Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 95 14:04:41 METDST
From:      marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at
To:        Thomas.Koenig@ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thomas_K=F6nig?=) (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Thomas_K=F6nig?=)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD box for backing up WfWG boxes?

> I'm currently considering how to back up around 20-30 WfWG boxes.

> I could get at the data using Samba, the free SMB over TCP client.
> However, the only free backup system I'm aware of, Amanda, only supports
> getting the data in question with dump, which can only back up a local
> hard drive (even though it can send the data somewhere remotely via
> rmt).  However, it depends on having UNIX running where your data is.

One way to do it (being used by a friend of mine on his WfWG box,) is to
Samba export a part of the FreeBSD machine's disk.  Then the WfWG
machine mounts the Samba export, and backs up there (MS Backup is what we
use.)  Afterwards, anything at all can be done on UNIX side.

The downside of the approach is that it requires menial work.

> The hardware is a PC box with an attached SCSI DAT drive.  If I can't get
> this to work using a free UNIX variant, the only workable alternative
> would be WNT <insert fear and loathing>.

> Any ideas how to tackle this?  Surely, somebody must have come across
> this problem earlier...

Sorry, don't know of any way to fully automatize this.

/Alby