Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2014 00:41:42 +0100
From:      John Marino <freebsd.contact@marino.st>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is the problem with ports PR reaction delays?

On 1/25/2014 00:30, Big Lebowski wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I wanted to ask about the growing time of reaction to ports PR's - what is
> the problem? It seems to me, as a ports contributor, that this time is only
> growing, not shrinking, and there's no formal/automated procedures that
> would help in managing the issue.
>
> What is the problem?

Seriously?  You did all that research and didn't notice this?
query all open ports PRS: 1705 problems total.

Short answer: Sheer number of PRs.

> Isnt there enought commiters?

Well, at least there are more PRs than people closing PRs.  Not all
committers deal with PRs.  Getting a commit bit does not obligate you to
process PRs.  If there's a PR already on a port a committer has interest
in fixing, then he/she will probably process the PR while they are there.

>  Isnt there a automated
> PR handling procedure reminding commiters with relevant access about such
> submissions? Can we help? I hope to spark some discussion.

Of course there is.  People get reminded about assigned PRs constantly.
 You think a computer message will make somebody work faster if they
didn't forget about it (iow they are aware and actively decided not to
deal with it yet).

I would have thought the situation is kind of obvious.  There are lots
of PRs, nobody is paid to process them, there are no teams dedicated to
"new ports", lots of PRs are stuck because their non-freebsd.org
maintainers are MIA or abandoned their emails and nobody is going to
touch a PR in "feedback", etc, etc.  Finally, some committers are pretty
sloppy at closing complete/obsolete PRs.

When people get paid to do it, I think the situation will improve. :)

John