Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 14:00:42 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: errors installing KDE-1.94 --fixed

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Tim McMillen wrote:

> > On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Mark Rowlands wrote:
> > > did you cvsup your ports collection?
> > I'll try that as soon as I figure out how.  I've never done it.
> Wow that was much easier than I thought.  Just looked up in the handbook,
> downloaded the CVSup package and away we go.  I bumbled around finding the
> right directory for the XFree3.3.6 port and using make, but when I got it
> right, it worked perfectly.
>
> > Also since kde-1.94 expects a
> > XFree86-3.3.6_2 package how will cvsup'ing the ports (even if that
> > updates Xfree to 3.3.6_2) fix that?
> Apparently the port makes a package or something like that?  I thought it
> literally needed the package.

The port depends on X--to be more precise, it depends on the X libraries,
not X 3.3.6--I'm building it with X4.0.1 ATM (on am pentium with 16M, it's
been cranking on it for the last day and doesn't look like it'll be done
any time soon :( )

> 	Kde1.94 is working just great so far.  I really like konqueror and
> kword.  Now on to getting sound to work. Thanks Mark.
>
> 						Tim

You have paid nothing for the preceding, therefore it's worth every penny
you've paid for it: if you did pay for it, might I remind you of the
immortal words of Phineas Taylor Barnum regarding fools and money?