Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 18:24:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysctl descriptions.. sorta..

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
[..]
> > So I've put some diffs that should add a new syscall (getsyscalldescr(2))
> > to achieve this (and also attempt to document a few more sysctls) at
> > http://www.wenet.net/~garbanzo/junk. A small example of how to use this is
> > also available at the afformentioned URL.
>
> Wrong way to do it.  Use another "magic" method; see kern/kern_sysctl
> for the existing "magic" methods.  I'd use {0,5,...} in the same fashion
> as {0,4,...} is already implemented.  Should be very easy.

Eck, always the easy way out.  Anyways, what _is_ the proper way to do it?
Pass it an int[4] to get at say hw.model {0,5,CTL_HW,HW_MODEL} and then
SYSCTL_OUT the description?

The comments that this interface should be beaten to death, and that
SYSCTL_IN/OUT are rather untested is um, reassuring to say the least ;)

- alex

| "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern  |
| technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat." |