Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 2002 04:58:49 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1016708329.7ca34a@mired.org>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some video Capture questions (Was: Some audio capture questions)

In <20020316084125.3b2b0874.steve@sohara.org>, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org> typed:
> 	lame, gogo and blade will all do real time mp3 encoding on
> reasonable hardware (say k6-300 and up). With more modern hardware
> realtime *video* encoding (mpeg1 or mpeg4) is quite feasible.

Since you seem to have a grasp of these numbers, let me ask this one:

I've got two machines, A and B. B has enough oomph to capture
real-time video - it's done it. B doesn't, or at least didn't when I
tried using MS's software on it without tuning. However, the video
feed of interest is tied to B. How much oomph does B need in order to
get the bits to A to capture them? I don't need on-the-fly encoding,
so I'll give it up to get good quality.

Between them is a 100BaseT network and a switch. I can put a second
ethernet card in B and move the link from A to that instead of the
switch if required, but I don't think it's required.

I'm already doing this with audio to play it on A with esound, just by
doing "ssh -n B esdrec | esdcat" on A. Is there a similar tool for
video? Well, a similar tool that will work with the ATI AIW? Or should
I stick with H323 software on both ends?

	Thanx,
	<mike