Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 1996 09:20:02 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gordon Henderson <gordon@drogon.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   No more processes

Anyone shed some light on this? I get this error fairly offten from
commands typed at the keyboard to cron scripts failing with 'can't fork'
errors. The machine is running 2.1.0-RELEASE and inn1.4u4. (64MB of RAM,
128MB swap, system uses about 10% of swap accoring to 'top')

Inn seems to work fine as rc.news is run by bash and it has a bunch if
limit statements at the start but why does the system fall-over when
trying to run simple cron jobs or even things from the keyboard like
  ps -gax | grep innxmit

The kernel is compiled with maxusers set to 64. This ought to give it more
processes that you can shake a stick at, or is there soemthing subtler
going on like the process counter counting all processes for that
particular user, even processes belonging to a different tty group? (eg.
inn uses more that 40 processes as uid 'news' then I come allong & login
as news to do some admin work and the default being 40 per user, it counts
all the existing processes... ???

Any insight would be most appreciated!

Gordon