Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 09:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/38533: 'ifconfig ifname down delete' does not deletes aliases

The following reply was made to PR bin/38533; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To: Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 19:41:29 +0300

 --llIrKcgUOe3dCx0c

 On Sun, May 26, 2002 at 12:12:11AM +0800, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
 > Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
 >=20
 > > I don't quite follow, sorry.  Suppose you have two IP addresses
 > > from different networks bound to an interface.  If you delete
 > > one address, it just gets deleted.  Nothing else should be
 > > done.
 >=20
 > Right. But suppose you have two IP addresses from the same network
 > (second with netmask 255.255.255.255).=20
 > If you remove primary one (with correct netmask), you end up
 > with last IP address and netmask 255.255.255.255 that's seem to be wrong.
 > I guess right netmask should be preserved.
 >=20
 If you have x.y.z.1/24 and x.y.z.2/32,

 	ifconfig if0 x.y.z.2/32 delete
 	ifconfig if0 x.y.z.2

 will do it for you.  Anyway, we're diverging from the PR's topic.
 "delete" works as expected, it just deletes the primary address
 of an interface (if no specific address is supplied).

 Cheers,
 --=20
 Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
 ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,