Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 1996 19:28:04 +0000 ()
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        Robert Eckardt <re@ghost.mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update on 'partition sector garbled ...'

> This time however, I went into depth and found that the wd driver
> reports the wrong number of cylinders.
> My AT-Bus disk (Conner 544CP) has 1054 cylinders, but FreeBSD sees
> only 1053. It is partitioned as:
[snip]
> Any idea why FreeBSD sees only 1053 cyls. or how to work around ?
> Anything special about the Conner ?

Interesting.  I have the same problem with a Conner CFA420, except
the discrepancy is a litle larger - FreeBSD sees only 665 cylinders
instead of 826.  Every other OS I've run (DOS, Win3.1, WinNT, OS/2,
Linux) on it has managed to work this out without any problems, as
do the BIOSes on both the PC's I've used it in, so I think there
must be something strange about how FreeBSD handles Conner disks
(or alternatively, something strange about how Conner disks respond
to being probed by FreeBSD).

If there are any assembler wizards out there, the relevant code is
in /sys/i386/boot/biosboot/bios.S (I'll have a look at it myself,
but my reference manual is 400 miles away :-()

'info as' will get you the documentation on AT&T syntax (note
that 'mov' is the opposite way round from Intel syntax, among other
oddities; also, don't forget that you can't call DOS functions under
FreeBSD :-)