Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 17:05:10 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staying -current with FreeBSD

Greg Lehey scribbled this message on Sep 29:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 1997 at 02:17:18PM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> > Mike Smith scribbled this message on Sep 29:
> >> You can obtain the source in two forms; either the raw source tree, or
> >> the CVS repository.  The former requires around 100MB of disk space,
> >> the latter perhaps three times that; expect these values to grow with
> >> time.  The raw source tree is all that's required to build the source,
> >> however the CVS repository is useful if you are interested in tracking or
> >> becoming involved with development.  In particular, the CVS repository
> >> can be invaluable if you are trying to locate a new problem.
> >
> > -current source tree (as of a few days ago) about 181megs...
> > cvs tree as of last night at about 11pm PST is about 390megs...
>
> What are you including in these figures?  About a month ago, I
> calculated:
>
>                   Table 16-1.  Approximate source tree sizes
>
>                     +-------------------------+-----------+
>                     |Component                | Size (MB) |
>                     +-------------------------+-----------+
>                     |Repository src/sys       |        53 |
>                     |Repository src           |       330 |
>                     |Repository ports         |        36 |
>                     |Source tree /usr/src/sys |        65 |
>                     |Source tree /usr/src     |       372 |
>                     |Source tree /usr/ports   |       160 |
>                     |Object tree src          |       160 |
>                     +-------------------------+-----------+
>
> I've just checked /usr/src again:
>
> # du -s /usr/src/
> 383294  /usr/src/
>
> Am I missing something?

arg.. that's right...  I grab these cvs parts:
src-all
www
cvs-crypto
ports-all
doc-all

my src tree is simply, cvs co src in a directory.. and updated with
cvs update .  of course I have:
update -Pd
co -P

in my .cvsrc file..   do your /usr/src include object files or possibly
kernel builds? I had to remove about 16megs from my du -sk srcdir because
of a kernel build I had in there...

now I just did a du -sk of the obj dir for my last build world 158megs

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD