Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:12:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jin Guojun (FTG staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   which is a better  GigB network adapter supported in FreeBSD

I see two group of GigB network NIC listed in supported hardware.

(1)
Alteon Networks PCI gigabit ethernet NICs based on the Tigon 1 and Tigon 2
chipsets including the
Alteon AceNIC (Tigon 1 and 2),
3Com 3c985-SX (Tigon 1 and 2),
Netgear GA620 (Tigon 2),
Silicon Graphics Gigabit Ethernet,
DEC/Compaq EtherWORKS 1000, NEC Gigabit Ethernet

(2)
SysKonnect SK-984x PCI gigabit ethernet cards including
the SK-9841 1000baseLX (single mode fiber, single port),
the SK-9842 1000baseSX (multimode fiber, single port),
the SK-9843 1000baseLX (single mode fiber, dual port),
and the SK-9844 1000baseSX (multimode fiber, dual port).

I heard from people, who use them under Linux, said that SysKonnect has
better performance (20% higher) than Alteon, but price is high ($700 : $250).

Just by look at the list, I think I will buy some of following NICs
and would like to get information on these NIC:

Alteon AceNIC (Tigon 1 and 2), 3Com 3c985-SX (Tigon 1 and 2), and
Netgear GA620 (Tigon 2) from group 1,

and/or

SK-9842 1000baseSX (multimode fiber, single port) and
the SK-9844 1000baseSX (multimode fiber, dual port) from group 2.

If people have used any some of these adapters can drop me the info.
about how reliable these NICs are, how is the performance and price ratio,
and what are the maximum MTUs they support, it will be appreciated.

Thanks,

	-Jin