Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2014 19:24:10 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean Fagan <sef@ixsystems.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Expanding on NO_ROOT:  Categorizing installed files

--ZARJHfwaSJQLOEUz

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 10:46:44AM -0700, Sean Fagan wrote:
> On Jul 16, 2014, at 10:07 AM, Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >> I have not changed it from having a new "category=3D" to using "tag=3D=
"; I looked at that, and don't think it's the best way to go, but am still =
looking.
> >=20
> > Given that the current use of tags=3D is basically unconsumed, I still
> > don't understand why.
>=20
> First, because the space is limited -- it's not "tag type=3Dvalue", but "=
tag=3Dvalue".  So if there is a category of "debug", that conflicts with a =
tag of "debug."  And similarly for any other tags.
>=20
> Second, because "category=3D" isn't the only keyword I might want to add =
here -- I would prefer that the metalog be considered a key-value sequence,=
 and any consumer should simply ignore any key it doesn't understand.
>=20
> (Consider checksums, as a semi-obvious example of one that can be put in =
place by install.)
>=20
> Combine the two, and I'm very wary of it -- it puts a limitation in, when=
 it should be extensible.

You've convinced me.  I think the first is a redherring as no one uses the =
tags, but the second is a good argument.

That said, I think the second argues that -P generating category=3D is the
wrong approach.  Instead a new flag should just let you add arbitrary
stuff to the mtree file (subject to validation that it is well formed).

-- Brooks

--ZARJHfwaSJQLOEUz

--ZARJHfwaSJQLOEUz--