Date:      Fri, 23 May 2014 14:30:05 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org
Subject:   Re: strange svn problem on FreeBSD 10 STABLE --> solved

Hi,

On Thu, 22 May 2014 19:47:56 -0600
Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-05-23 at 09:27 +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 May 2014 11:49:36 -0400
> > Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com> writes:
> > >

> > > I probably could have been a lot more help if you'd included the
> > > output of "uname -a" and "svn info" in your message. And your
> > > kernel configuration file, although even better than that would
> > > be trying the GENERIC configuration and showing the results of
> > > that.
> > >
> > I just compiled the kernel with SC on and VT off without any
> > problems. Turning VT on again and SC off and I results in the
> > original error messages. It seems to me that the source tree got
> > damaged during the interruptions and svn does not notice it.
> >
> > > Good luck.
> >
> > It seems the best method for the moment.
> >
> > Erich
>
> Based on the error messages you report, the part of the tree that
> might be damaged is src/sys/conf/files*.  From a glance at the config
> code it looks like that error is generated if it reads through
> conf/files and conf/files.amd64 and others that are included from
> your kernel config, and it didn't find any lines that contained
> "optional vt".  The thing is, that appears on a pretty good number of
> lines, so it's hard to picture the damage that caused just that error
> and no others.

after doing a

svn revert . -R

svn started to copy moste likely all files from the local depository
into the actual source tree. So, it seems to me that one of the
interruptions I have had stopped also this copying process and svn did
not notice this in the later runs. It still does not compile as config
fails now with a different error message.

>>> Kernel build for X220 started on Fri May 23 11:12:51 WITA 2014
===> X220
mkdir -p /usr/obj/usr/src/sys

>>> stage 1: configuring the kernel
cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf;
PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/games:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
config  -d /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/X220  -I '/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf'
'/usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/X220' config: illegal option -- I usage:
config [-CgmpV] [-d destdir] sysname config -x kernel *** Error code 64

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src

Ok, I realised here that I have to build the world first as even uname
tells something about a current version, it does not have to be true.

Rebuild the world and then the kernel worked as expected.

Anyway, a problem like this seems to be extremely rare. It was most
likely caused by the interruptions I have had to face during the
download of the sources.

Thanks for your input.

Erich