Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 19:31:34 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Morsal Roudbay" <morsal@swipnet.se>
Cc:        "J S" <spl1t_h0r1z0n@usa.net>, "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: [Re: spammers]

I frankly don't have a preference myself - however I don't run this list.
While I could concoct reasons why it is open I really don't know why the
list maintainer has chosen it to be open.  I do know that managing the
servers and this list does create work for somebody, and I wouldn't
presume to tell that person how to do their job unless I was prepared to
take it over. ;-)

Let me point out one thing though - since the list is publically searchable
there's nothing preventing a spammer from harvesting lots of juicy e-mail
addresses from the archives.  While blocking spam from the list does have
a certain attraction, it's like sticking a finger in a dike made of Swiss
cheese.

Just a FYI - I've written plenty of material on various sites on how to
block spam, if you want to pursue some of it I can give you the links
offline.  One thing I've come to the conclusion is that nothing works
as well as content filtering.  After all, how many legitimate piece of
mail do you get that contain the string "This message sent in accordance
with the federal regulations (insert ficticious house bill number here)"
or containing the word "cum"  (is that even a word?)  However content
filtering is very political to a number of people who don't like the
Big Brotherish aspect or are afraid that even the most carefully constructed
filtration database will block legitimate mail.

When given a choice between constructing a system where the onus is on the
users to do something, or the onus is on the administrator to do something,
the BSD folks have generally opted for local control over administrative
control.  This is a paradigm thing and your not going to change it.  System V
by contrast to BSD has voted for the strong administrative control.  So
I guess it's no surprise that the BSD mailing lists are set up to where
the onus is on the users to block spam if they so choose.  Inefficient,
perhaps, but there's a certain freedom to that system that isn't present
in one where filtering was done at the central mailing host.