Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:17:59 -0600
From:      "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james-freebsd-current@jrv.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: A big-ish machine, cannot boot

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Unfortunately, the kernel hangs on boot. The loader finishes, the twirly
> starts spinning but then hangs. Enabling verbose booting results in
> nothing new - no kernel messages at all.

I don't think "loader finishes" is correct.  Can you break to the loader
command line at the beastie menu?

At the time of the twirlie I think that the loader is copying the kernel
to memory.  Perhaps it is having trouble with disk reads, or has a bad
memory map.

How many disks are attached, and what filesystem type does /boot live
on?  And  what does Fixit mode see (from whatever installed that system)?