Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 1997 16:47:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, terry@lambert.org, avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, patrick@xinside.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

> > > For those of us who've never seen a Solaris2 machine boot up, could
> > > you perhaps tell us (though config@freebsd.org would be perhaps a
> > > better mailing list on which to do it) what it looks like and what
> > > about it you found so attractive?
> >
> > Remember the boot splash discussion?
> >
> > Now you know.
>
> Except that Solaris doesn't _have_ a boot splash screen.
>
> Well, on a SPARC there's a little picture embedded in the ROM that prints at
> boot up, but that has nothing to do with Solaris.  For that matter, my PC
> has a little AMI BIOS logo when it boots up.
>
> Is there some PC UNIX that _does_ have a boot splash screen?

A "splash screen", loosely defined, is "any screen that hides what is
really happing, while giving the user something thought to be less
confusing to look at".

UnixWare has a splash screen in the *strict* definition:  You see the
UnixWare boot image, you don't see intermediate stuff, as long as
all goes as planned and you don't hit "space" during the first yay many
seconds of the booth, then you see a graphical login.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---