Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 2009 10:14:43 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erich@apsara.com.sg>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Lars Eighner <portsuser@larseighner.com>
Subject:   Re: Ports completely and permanently hosed

Hi,

On 07 August 2009 am 09:29:59 Lars Eighner wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > On 06 August 2009 pm 19:10:07 Lars Eighner wrote:
> >
> > do not even ask this question if you have a working system.
> >
> > I realised this problem by luck when I tried to update a
> > single program which is affected by this. After seeing how
> > many ports depend on this, I decided to keep my system as it
> > is and wait until FreeBSD 8 is officially out.
>
> Well, I deinstalled python26 and python25 which was hanging
> around but was not set in make.conf.  I deinstalled python24,
> which said it wasn't there, but I found a directory for it in
> /usr/local/include .  Then I forced pkg_delete py\*  I

You went really deep into the system to do a simple things which
should have been done by the ports system.

> The kde disaster is still grinding, but I have high hopes.

Stay with 3.x.

> > If this would be synchronised with the main FreeBSD releases,
> > it would have a minor effect on users.
>
> Was it 6.0 when they upgraded Xorg just after the release?  You
> might as well have used the ports tree disc as a coaster.

If synchronised, this would not happen. But do not forget, X is an
external project. So, things can only be delayed with the freeze
but not be accelerated.

I think that the ports tree is pretty good but once in a while it
really hits you.

Erich