Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 19:17:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryan Ogawa at Work <bogawa@netvoyage.net>
To:        Robert Nicholson <robert@elastica.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sharedactive w/ INN (was Re: shmget())

On 30 Apr 1996, Robert Nicholson wrote:

> Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu> writes:
>
> Just out of interest...
>
> Does the sharedactive patch work with INN under FreeBSD?
[...]

Yes, it does, and pretty well.  Brian Tao also has it running, I believe,
as may Joe Greco (sp?).

I had problems kicking up the values for the sharedactives correctly, so I
ended up dumping that stuff altogether and running the following in my
config file:

options    SYSVSHM
#options    "SHMMAXPGS=4096"  # 4096kb (?) of sharable memory
options    SYSVSEM           # enable for semaphores
options    SYSVMSG           # enable for messaging

Note that I commented out the SHMMAXPGS option--i was having problems
figuring out the right size, so I got rid of it and it worked much better
(the number off to the side is very wrong, I'm pretty sure).

Note that the patch, I believe, defaults to presuming that you have <
15000 groups.  Since this is only debatably true if you carry everything
(e.g. lots and lots of regionals), you may need to change this.  At the
moment, on our server:

news# wc -l /usr/local/news/lib/active
   17316 /usr/local/news/lib/active

and that works fine.

Our machine really benefits from the sharedactive patches.  Just today we
had 50-60 readers on a 64 Meg machine, with what appears to be plenty of
RAM left.

bryan

Bryan K. Ogawa
Questions or Problems with NetVoyage?  help@netvoyage.net