Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:21:50 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        budsz <budsan02@bdg.centrin.net.id>
Cc:        C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Transparant proxy

budsz wrote:

>>3. Does the proxy work when the browser is configured to directly using
>>the proxy (not transparent) and the above firewall rules are not
>>implemented.
>>

>Yes, proxy server and ipfw rule work fine. I mean with proxy or without
>proxy anybody can browse to the internet. that's my problem, I want my
>client if browsing without proxy they shouldn't connect to the internet.

Surely this is the correct behaviour is it not?

Local machines without the proxy configured will have their port 80
requests *transparently* sent to the proxy. So therefore web access will
work reguardless of whether or not the proxy is configured in the
client's web browser.

Or do you mean that clients without a proxy configured have *direct*
access to the 'net and are definately not going through the proxy, and
you have checked the proxy logs to confirm this.

Andrew.