Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2003 21:13:11 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Charles Howse <chowse@charter.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: REPOST: null device in linux jail root

--Fba/0zbH8Xs+Fj9o

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 01:15:07PM -0600, Charles Howse wrote:
> Surely, *someone* who reads this list has upgraded the linux_base port, a=
nd=20
> figured out the proper way to respond to this prompt.

I apply for item A but not item B -- in other words, I also don't have a cl=
ue
why this happened to me today on my -CURRENT machine (so it's not -STABLE
only). From my reading of the port Makefile, it appears that it first creat=
es
the device node and then tests to see if it exists, but apparently that test
fails -- the message *should* be harmless, but the best thing to do is to
make the maintainer of the port aware of the problem, which in this case
is the general ports list (ports@FreeBSD.org) -- CC'd.

--Stijn

[rest of email quoted for reference, but please don't top post next time]

>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I installed Linux compatibility when I installed FBSD 4.8, but I've never=
=20
> really done anything with it.
>=20
> While portupgrading , I was presented with a prompt that I don't know how=
 to=20
> respond to:
>=20
> You need to create the null device in your jail root environment.
> Run the following commands outside the jail root environment,
> and then press enter:
> mkdir -m 0755 -p <Jail Root dir>/dev
> rm -f <Jail Root dir>//compat/linux/dev/null
> mknod <Jail Root dir>//compat/linux/dev/null c 2 2
> chmod 666 <Jail Root dir>//compat/linux/dev/null
>=20
> I found that this prompt comes from the makefile in the linux-base port,
> which I don't have access to at the moment, so I can't quote it exactly.
>=20
> Clueless, I just pressed enter at the prompt, thinking I could always go =
back=20
> and do it later, or deinstall the port and reinstall it when I learn what=
 to=20
> do. ?
>=20
> I know what a jail is, but how do I know what my <Jail Root dir> is?
> Also, why the double slashes in the last 3 lines? ?What do they mean?
>=20
> What is the proper way to deal with this prompt?
>=20
> --=20
> Thanks,
> Charles

--=20
"Linux has many different distributions, meaning that you can probably find
one that is exactly what you want (I even found one that looked like a Unix
system)."
		-- Mike Meyer, from a posting at questions@freebsd.org

--Fba/0zbH8Xs+Fj9o

--Fba/0zbH8Xs+Fj9o--