Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 10:19:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brent B.Powers <powers@b2pi.com>
To:        Carles Montenegro <carlesgo@mat.upc.es>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re:"make" documentation

    Carles> 	Dear sirs,

    Carles> 	I am a telecommunications engineering student from
    Carles> Polytechnic University of Catalonia.  I'm working with a
    Carles> FreeBSD 3.2 and I would like to get full documentation
    Carles> about the "make" version which is used in FreeBSD 3.2.  I
    Carles> have been searching unsuccessfully through the
    Carles> www.freebsd.org site.  Where could I get specific
    Carles> information about the "make" version used in FreeBSD 3.2 ?

There are essentially two make's on open source systems (actually,
there are more than that, but we'll only pay attention to two). The
bsd make is probably at /usr/bin/make (it is on a standard system, and
I doubt that you've moved it), and documentation for it (such as it
is) may be found at /usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/paper.ascii.gz. Note
that this was written a number of years ago as a replacement for the
ATT 7 make.

But wait. That's not that heavily used anymore. Over in
/usr/local/bin/gmake is the gnu make. Up to date info (including
differences between bsd make and gmake) can be found by using the info
system

info "GNU make"

and gmake can handle any makefiles that make can. Furthermore, it's
abit faster and is certainly more currently maintained. Additionally,
it has a few extra bells and whistles (in fact, it's the only make
over in the Linux world, where a quick symlink, which you can
duplicate, has it as make as well as gmake).

Thus, ignore make, set up gmake as your default maker, and all will be
well with the world.