Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 1998 11:59:27 -0800
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lisp vs. Forth (was Re: New boot loader and alternate  kernels )

>If the FORTH Interpreter were OpenBoot syntax compliant, we
>could use it to interpret ROM code on a number of cards
>designed to be usable in both Intel and PPC systems.
>
>Also, there's the whole OpenFirmware standard thing...

Well, the standard's kinda big.  You're going to be well into 300-400k
of code (Forth or C) to meet it.  You have to start with the ANS Forth
spec, add IEEE-1275, then go through most of the recommended practices
at <http://playground.sun.com/pub/1275/home.html>; plus other assorted
items.

The I2O 1.5 spec is now downloadable for free, so that's going to throw
another level of driver fun into the mix.

	-- Parag