Date:      Sun, 6 Mar 2016 20:54:11 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] packaging the base system with pkg(8)

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb

Sorry, missed this reply.

On Fri, Mar 04, 2016 at 08:12:52AM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 04/03/2016 01:09, Glen Barber wrote:
> >> I was prepared to freak out at this, but with half the packages
>=20
> > This was intentional.  If, for example, there is a libxo bug that
> > requires an EN or SA, we do not want the binary upgrade to exceed more
> > than required.
>=20
> Bapt's presentation at BSDCan last year explained the reasoning behind
> how the base was divided up into packages.  He said at the time that it
> was impossible to do in a way that wouldn't get complaints from someone,
> so he opted for maximum flexibility -- meaning a lot of fine-grained
> packages plus a heirarchy of meta-packages to make it easy to install
> and manage package sets in commonly used combinations.
>=20

This is correct.

> So, for instance, there might be a 'FreeBSD-debug' that would depend on
> 'FreeBSD-library-debug', 'FreeBSD-application-debug' etc.  and
> 'FreeBSD-library-debug' would depend on the individual
> 'FreeBSD-libfoo-debug' packages that actually install the symbol files.
>  (So you could strip all the debug symbols from your install by 'pkg
> delete -fR FreeBSD-debug')
>=20
> I'm not seeing any of those meta packages in the base repo built
> following Glen's instructions -- is there some other step necessary to
> generate them?
>=20

Meta packages are still being thought out, and not yet implemented.  The
problem I ran into last time I tried creating a meta package including
the minimal set of packages required (FreeBSD-runtime, FreeBSD-kernel
and FreeBSD-clibs) was that I could not see a way to update one of them
without adversely affecting behavior.  If I recall correctly, updating
the PKG_VERSION for FreeBSD-runtime (to see what would happen when
issuing an EN or SA) propagated "what was to be upgraded" in a way I did
not expect, so all packages part of the meta package were updated.  That
is, if I recall correctly.

Note, this predates the pkg(8) patch for shlib tracking, so may not be
an issue any longer.

Glen

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb--