Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:03:08 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        Jose Marques <noway@nohow.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portmapper flags?

* Jose Marques <noway@nohow.demon.co.uk> [010829 18:33]:
> On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Rasputin wrote:
>
> > Am I missing something here?
>
> >From the portmap man page:
>
> 	Note: that when specifying ip addresses with -h, portmap will
> 	automatically add 127.0.0.1 to the list so you don't have to.
>
> So I guess if you say "-h 127.0.0.1" then it adds "127.0.0.1" to the list,
> therfore that address appears twice, hence the error?  If so I think this
> is a bug as it prevents one from telling portmap to listen on lo0
> interface only

Do you know, I actually bit the bullet and read the portmapper code for this,
and it looked like that down there too.
Cheers - wow, this might be my first patch!

> (useful if one uses wordperfect for Linux from the ports -
> which needs portmap running otherwise it hangs on start-up).

fam is another one - I was trying to get enlightenment 0.17 to run from
CVS code (and I would have gotten away with too, if it wasn't
for those pesky RPC processes)

> Note: portmap pays attention to the contents of the "/etc/hosts.allow"
> file so one could restrict access that way.

Good plan. It's firewalled off anyway, but listening on remote
sockets makes me twitchy.

--
If God is dead, who will save the Queen?
Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns ::