Date:      Tue, 20 Sep 2005 19:35:06 -0400
From:      David Wassman <myfreebsd@cox.net>
To:        Ariff Abdullah <skywizard@mybsd.org.my>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound Control

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 02:47 am, Ariff Abdullah wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:12:57 -0400
>
> David Wassman <myfreebsd@cox.net> wrote:
> > I cannot get any application that I run to control the volume. I get
> > sound but  am not able to adust the volume level. So far the following
> > apps have shown  this problem:
> > MPlayer
> > Xine
> > XMMS
> > KMix
> > Noatun (no sound at all so may be different issue)
> > Kaboodle
> >
> > I am running FreeBSD 5.4/KDE 3.2.4 with a Sound Blaster Live! sound
> > card. My sndstat:
> > pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xb800 irq 11 kld snd_emu10k1 (4p/2r/4v
> >
> > channels duplex default)
> > so the card is recognized. I have adjusted the virtual channels in
> > sysctl.conf  and the sndstat shows there are 4v chanels.
> > I have both esound and arts. Thought this may be an issue but both are
> >
> > dependencies of KDE-Multimedia
> >
> > So far I have tried the following:
> > 1)	Updating ports and ran portmanager. No effect.
> > 2)	Changed KControl->Sound System to use the following in all
> > combinations:
> > 		Autodetect
> > 		Threaded OSS
> > 		OSS
> > 		Full Duplex
> > 		/dev/dsp0.0
> > 		/dev/dspW0.0
> > 		/dev/dsp0.1
> > 		/dev/dspW0.1
> > 	No avail.
> > 3)	Tried OSS drivers instead of FreeBSD native. Could not
> > initialize the card.  4)	Rebuilt both esound and arts. No effect
> >
> > I have googled this yet cannot find any post with similar issue
> > (except one in  which the onboard card was not deactivated. I do not
> > have an onboard).
> >
> > The only other thing I could think of is to update the whole system in
> >
> > buildworld. Not really excited about this option as everything else is
> >
> > working great (don't want to mess with it). I use this as my primary
> > desktop  so I don't want to be down for that long.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas or a direction to point me in?
>
> Show me the output of /usr/sbin/mixer , pciconf -lv (only multimedia /
> audio part), dmesg | grep pcm, cat /dev/sndstat.
>

> --
>
> Ariff Abdullah
> MyBSD
>
> http://www.MyBSD.org.my (IPv6/IPv4)
> http://staff.MyBSD.org.my (IPv6/IPv4)
> http://tomoyo.MyBSD.org.my (IPv6/IPv4)
Ariff,

/usr/sbin/mixer output:
Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer speaker  is currently set to 100:100
Mixer line     is currently set to 100:100
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to 100:100
Mixer rec      is currently set to  16:16
Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100
Mixer line1    is currently set to 100:100
Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer video    is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: vol

Apps can adjust these values but no effect on output.

pciconf -lv output:
emu10kx0@pci2:7:0:      class=0x040100 card=0x80641102 chip=0x00021102
rev=0x08 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
    device   = 'EMU10000 Sound Blaster Live! (Also Live! 5.1) - OEM from DELL
- CT4780'
    class    = multimedia
    subclass = audio
none2@pci2:7:1: class=0x098000 card=0x00201102 chip=0x70021102 rev=0x08
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
    device   = 'EMU10000 Game Port'
    class    = input device
jupiter# emu10kx0@pci2:7:0:      class=0x040100 card=0x80641102
chip=0x00021102 rev=0x08 hdr=0x00
emu10kx0@pci2:7:0:: Too many arguments.
    vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
    device   = 'EMU10000 Sound Blaster Live! (Also Live! 5.1) - OEM from DELL
- CT4780'
    class    = multimedia
    subclass = audio
none2@pci2:7:1: class=0x098000 card=0x00201102 chip=0x70021102 rev=0x08
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
    device   = 'EMU10000 Game Port'
    class    = input device
jupiter#     vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
vendor: Command not found.
jupiter#     device   = 'EMU10000 Sound Blaster Live! (Also Live! 5.1) - OEM
from DELL - CT4780'
device: Command not found.
jupiter#     class    = multimedia
class: Command not found.
jupiter#     subclass = audio
subclass: Command not found.
jupiter# none2@pci2:7:1: class=0x098000 card=0x00201102 chip=0x70021102
rev=0x08 hdr=0x00
none2@pci2:7:1:: Too many arguments.
jupiter#     vendor   = 'Creative Labs'
vendor: Command not found.
jupiter#     device   = 'EMU10000 Game Port'
device: Command not found.
jupiter#     class    = input device
class: Command not found.

dmesg | grep pcm output:
pcm0: <EMU10Kx PCM Interface> on emu10kx0
pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9708/11 AC97 Codec>
pcm0: <EMU10Kx PCM Interface> on emu10kx0
pcm0: <SigmaTel STAC9708/11 AC97 Codec>

cat /dev/sndstat output:
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <EMU10Kx PCM Interface> on emu10kx0 (8p/1r/4v channels duplex default)

I am currently using the emu10kx driver over the emu10k1 driver ( someone
suggested this as a possible fix)

Thanks for your time and effort,

David