Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:02:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, reichert@numachi.com
Subject:   Re: does -STABLE support VIA VT6103 NIC?

Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com> wrote:
 > I'm looking at the release notes for 6.2-RELEASE:
 >
 >   http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.2R/hardware-i386.html#ETHERNET
 >
 > I'm considering the botherboard on this 1U system:
 >
 >   http://www.ironsystems.com/Customkititems.asp?kc=SYS%2DS%2DA113%2D01&Cc=ACLASS
 >
 > Which describes a VIA 'VT6103 10/100 Base-T Ethernet PHY' interface.

The actual interface is a VT6105.  The 6103 is just the PHY.
This chip is called "Rhine III", and it's listed in the
FreeBSD release notes.

 > This is not specifically mentioned as supported; does anyone know for sure?

It's supported by the vr(4) driver.  I've got two VT610x
NICs on my VIA EDEN PD10k board, too.  They work perfectly
fine.

Best regards
   Oliver

Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, USt-Id: DE204219783
Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

"I have stopped reading Stephen King novels.
Now I just read C code instead."
        -- Richard A. O'Keefe