Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:27:38 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Vladimir Dozen <vladimir-dozen@mail.ru>
Subject:   Re: Request for Comments: libarchive, bsdtar

--ZRyEpB+iJ+qUx0kp

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:22:02PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <40059DFB.9000904@mail.ru>, Vladimir Dozen writes:
> >ehlo.
> >
> >> If you become a bored person requiring entertainment, it might be quite
> >> interesting to create a read-only tarfs for use as a root file system
> >> loaded in an md device.
> >
> >   I'm just curious: is it possible to write a GEOM class to mount
> >   a given tar as a FS in R/O mode (using libarchive, I mean)?
>=20
> That would be a filesystem, not a GEOM class.
>=20
> And yes it would be.  Part of the trouble is directory searches
> where you need to build some kind of index in order to not have
> to run through sequentially all the time.

For cases where you know you're going to be using the archive as a file
system, you might be able to cheat a bit by creating a special file
containing an efficent index of the contents of the archive.  That would
let you avoid keeping everything in memory and rescanning the disk
constantly.

-- Brooks

--=20

--ZRyEpB+iJ+qUx0kp