Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 23:08:11 -0800
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, re@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVS Issues with branch.. Was: Re: HEADS UP: Be nice to -CURRENT ( "1 week Feature Slush" )

--qjNfmADvan18RZcF

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 03:32:00AM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
> > Differences of opinion on naming aside...the branch isn't supposed to
> > last long at all.  The point is to provide a slightly polished snapshot
> > to the wider developer community.  We can't do the QA/releng work on
> > HEAD without calling for a code freeze (which we early on decided that
> > we would *not* do).
>=20
> Then you don't need a branch, you just need a simple tag, and you can
> slide it forward if something needs fixing, and remove it after
> rolling and shipping the snapshot.

  Sliding tags around at the request of hundreds of different
developers making thousands of changes to -CURRENT over that time
period is not very appealing.  However, all of our other options are
rapidly being shot down as well.  Peter raises some valid concerns
about the pains that branching CVS will cause.  They would have been
much more helpful if voiced to re@ a week ago, but that's another
issue.

  At the very least a tag is going down in approximately 24 hours.

    - Murray

--qjNfmADvan18RZcF

--qjNfmADvan18RZcF--