Date:      Sun, 2 Aug 1998 10:19:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        "David W. Curry" <david@magickalhome.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Okay gave up on natd but can't get ppp -alias to work.

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01BDBDC6.A2631A60

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, David W. Curry wrote:
> I try ussing ppp -alias.  First problem is I can't get the script I put in ppp.conf to work right.  it will dial ok but it fails the login.  I have it set to:
>
>    set login "login:(my actual login) Password: ****(my actual password)"

Every ISP I know of supports PAP logins, no need for chat scripts.
Make the ISP section of your ppp.conf look something like

your_isp:
 set phone 5551212
 deny chap
 accept pap
 set authname your_userid
 set authkey  your_password
 set openmode active
 set timeout 600

And start ppp with

ppp -alias -auto your_isp

I do this with a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d that just runs the
above command.  The script name has to end with a .sh and execute
permissions need to be set in order for it to be run automatically
at system boot.

> On my 95 client side, I have the gateway set to 192.168.200.1 (my unix machines IP).  I have my dns set to 206.165.5.1 (my ISP's dns)  I can telnet to my UNIX machine, but no go on other applications such as web browser and email.

In /etc/rc.conf make sure you enable packet forwarding,

gateway_enable="YES"

> Any information would be appreciated.  I have read the ppp manual pages a couple of times and the handbook doesn't help me much.

Did you try the Pedantic PPP Primer?

Oh yea, please fix your mailer too.  You need to set it to break
your lines somewhere around 72 characters and make it quote using
a > or some other visible character.  Your highlighted quotes
aren't visible to those of us using Unix MUA's.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com

------=_NextPart_000_0026_01BDBDC6.A2631A60--