Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 1996 19:30:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux

Ahem!
       i found the same thing to be true about driving on the
	"wrong" side of the street when i was in england.
	3 weeks to doing solved that problem.  perhaps you
	know how to do all these things in Linux and are not
	happy having to relearn Unix.

> In case you didn't know it, Linux IS Unix! :)  You didn't read,
> or if you did, you surely didn't understand what I said.  Why
> should these app's that are the same be any different, functionally
> when running on FreeBSD, when they work fine on Linux!  Thats all
> I said.

        fvwm, memory utilization, ppp, console, (dont use minicom)
	all work under FreeBSD.

> Not really!  They don't work here.  Certainly not properly!
> Especially minicom.  I can't get user mode ppp to dial properly
> and have to use term mode to setup a connection.  Minicom does not
> work in an RXVT session, and xminicom doesn't work at all.  Fvwm95
> will not find all the icons (which are useful to me due to the
> medical problems I deal with).

	if you just want a desktop box, use whatever you want.
	if you want the most robust, cost effective, networking
	computer use FreeBSD.

> No, I'm disabled, and I work from home.  What I need, is a real
> operating system, that is dependable, fast, and as bullet proof
> as I can find.  Thats what made me give up on DOS/Windows in the
> first place, and started me into trying first OS/2, then Linux,
> NT and now FreeBSD.  Both Linux and FreeBSD are far superior to
> anything yet seen from Redmond, in my estimation, which is why I
> don't use that stuff.  But, there are things that I NEED to work,
> and work well every time.  What I'm finding is that things I need
> and depend on when running Linux, don't work properly on FreeBSD.
> Period.
>
> There is no difference in cost of FreeBSD versus Linux.  They're
> both "free".  The difference I'm finding is that the stuff works
> under Linux, and the very same stuff doesn't work properly, or at
> all under FreeBSD.  As for the robust networking, they're the same
> in that regard, with the network code being so tightly coupled, or
> is it, integrated with the kernel.  In fact, I find that Linux
> thruput is better (using PPP--on my FreeBSD I use 'user mode ppp')
> using the very same hardware, down to the port itself.  This is
> the very same machine, in this case.  Not a different box.

	different needs, different solutions

ps.	what's the most heavily loaded linux web|ftp server you have
	heard of?   can it do 115GB a day?  2.5MB/s all day and
	1.3MB/s all night?
	and still not break a sweat ;)

> This kind of comment was precisely my point.  Techno mumbo jumbo.
> The same box running Linux would do the same thing if you care to
> know the truth of the matter.  But, so what?  I'm talking about
> things that work well under Linux, and poorly or not at all on
> FreeBSD.  I was disappointed, and surprised, to find that to be
> the case to be quite honest with you.  Plus, there's other nonsense
> giving me fits with FreeBSD, like whenever I exit 'X' my shell does
> not work!  Does wild and crazy things UNTIL I hit Ctrl C a couple
> of times!  Never saw this kind of nonsense on Linux.  Just pressing
> 'Enter' may clear the screen, beep a few times, and print some
> hieroglyphics.  Not my idea of ROBUST, rock solid..... If thats
> considered the norm I'd be surprised, and I guess I'm wasting my
> time with this.  I wanted to find out the difference between Linux
> and FreeBSD.  Maybe I have, and just don't know it yet.  Then again,
> maybe I'm just spoiled from having used Debian for so long now.

Paul