Date:      Fri, 06 Jun 1997 12:42:57 -0400
From:      Michael Alwan <alwan@rma.edu>
To:        whitmores@postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD

At 08:17 PM 6/5/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>My Name is TSgt Shannon Whitmore, I'm in the US Air Force and attending
>school in computer operations.  The curriculum involves UNIX.  I was
>looking on the wbe for info and anything else I could find to further my
>UNIX experience, and I found your site..great by the way...anyway this
>is my question.
>
>I have down loadied the boot disk and would like to download the
>operating system..I've read all your info pertaining to pre install
>ext.. I booted from the boot disk and started installation, I was going
>to install via the FTP, how ever it only allows COMM1 or 2 and My modem
>is on COMM4,  I do not have the documentation for my modem to change the
>jumpers for any other comm ports..So I was going to D/L using WsFtp,
>however I have no Idea by looking through the site what I need to D/L..I
>wanted the basic operating system with the X-windows System, and allow
>adminstration of the system.  Could you please tell me which directories
>and files if possible I need to D/.L from to obtain what I want.  I
>would greatly appreciate it.
>
>Thank you,
>Shannon Whitmore

Download the 2.2.x distribution to a DOS partition and install from there
with your boot floopy.  Much easier and faster(IMHO) than installing from
floppies, and much safer than an FTP installation. If your connection goes
down while you are just downlaoding the distribution prior to installation,
you can just log on again and get what you need.  On the other hand, if
your connection goes down during an FTP installation from the boot.flp, all
is lost.  In addition, with the files on a DOS partition, you can
re-install if something goes wrong--I have occasionally found this useful.
Back up the distribution to tape or something if, after successful install,
you want the files off your DOS partition.  But ALWAYS have the
distribution backed up somewhere--if you do an ftp install and it fails ,
all those wasted hours of downloading!

Attached is the advice from a guru who has answered similar questions many
times.  Good luck!

Michael