Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 13:38:44 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Sven Hazejager <sven@chain.demon.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE RAID?

> I'm going to install a new FreeBSD server and I'm looking into an
> Ultra-ATA 100 RAID solution.

You should be more worried about functionality than buzzword-compliance.
ATA-100 isn't really all that important in the scheme of things here.

> So far, my searches on Dejanews seem to
> indicate that there are some problems with either installing FreeBSD, or
> booting FreeBSD from a RAID volume. I would like to configure two hard
> drives in a mirror (RAID1) config, and install and run the latest
> FreeBSD-STABLE on it. I'm considering either the Abit Hot Rod 100 or the
> Promise Fasttrack 100 RAID PCI cards. Does anyone have experience with
> either of those?

Yeah.  They're not "RAID controllers" as such, they just have BIOS
support for striped and mirrored configurations.

If you expect the mirror to work like a "real" mirror, right now your
best bet is going to be one of the 3ware cards; I'd expect that someone
will improve the intelligence in the ATA RAID code at some point, but
right now it's way too raw (IMO) for production use.