Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:24:20 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: use of readline()

Jason Thorpe stands accused of saying:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:05:40 +0930 (CST)
>  Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
>
>  > We also have libedit, however it's significantly more intrusive in terms
>  > of usage.  If readline() was riotously unpopular, this would possibly
>  > be a workable alternative.
>  >
>  > Does anyone actually use libedit for anything?
>
> We've made use of libedit in NetBSD because it's not GPL'd... and, the
> author of libedit is a NetBSD Core member :-)

Could the author, or a regular user, of libedit comment on how it
might be possible to reduce the spastic amount (code-wise) of overhead
required for its use?  Is there a straightforward initialisation
function that does sensible things such as picking the mode and
history size from the environment, allocates the history buffer, etc
rather than requiring every consuming application to reinvent the
wheel?

If not, would said author consent to such a function being added to the
library in order to achieve such a goal?

This is the only reason that I suggested readline; with the latter
all you do is call the sod.