Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:06:50 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Phil <ReachMe@Syne-Post.com>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp.mydomain.com/filelist.html ???

Phil wrote:

> Ok, I have seen it suggested a few times that people say its a DNS problem.
> This latest message suggests I need a machine name of 'ftp' so that
> ftp.mydomain.com will come up. Well, I only have one box. It's name is
> 'mnemo'.
> Does this imply that I can't run an ftp server for my site?????
> I don't think that's what was intended.
>
> Let's try from another angle.
>
> As a newbie what do I have to do to set-up an FTP mirror of a site in .uk??
> I already have permission to do so from the content owner.
> Also he said there is a way to automatically update the mirror site, say twice
> a month, how can I accomplish this aswell???

Could it be that 'mnemo' is a local, unofficial, name? How do you
connect to the Net?

Also, when installing FreeBSD you gave your box an IP address. If you
have a LAN can you access your box? I.e. 'ping <IP>', can you telnet
it? And finally, can you ftp it <g>.

If you don't have a LAN go on-line. Ask someone or go to a CyberCafe
or something to access your machine. Try to access your box using
the Internet IP address, of course. Chances are you already got
a working FTP site. At least, if you told it to install it during
setup (/stand/sysinstall).

Roelof

PS the names are mere syntactic sugar and have nothing to do
with the running of a FTP site. Well, not much anyway <g>

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.