Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 1996 14:25:26 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Memory configuration of ftp.cdrom.com

Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za> typed:
>BTW - Mb = Megabit, MB = Megabyte - the above mb means millibit.

I've always been bothered by this megabit/megabyte confusion.  By what
authority do you claim that b == bit and B == byte?

In my younger days, no one was particularly interested in bits, and Mb meant
megabyte.  It's all this new fangled networking stuff that has brought bits
back into the spotlight.

Still, should I quibble over this when I can still buy cans of food marked
450gm.  Gram metres must be useful for something, but not measuring food. :-)

Stephen McKay, Apprentice Pedant to the Government.