Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:07:17 -0800
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        andrew klassen <aptklassen@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jdk 1.4 port to freebsd4.10

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 02:30:26PM -0800, andrew klassen wrote:
> I have a freebsd 4.10 system and I need to install jdk.
>
> I noticed that work had been done to port jdk 1.4 to freebsd 4.x but I do not see any way
> to download that port from the freebsd foundation website. Is it still available to download?
> I have reviewed the licensing requirements for later downloads and have no issue with
> signing a trademark agreement with Sun, but the later downloads require Freebsd 5.x.

You can't get a binary release for 1.4 (there never was one) and the ports
tree no longer supports FreeBSD 4.x.  There was a binary release for 1.3,
but the Foundation are no longer distributing it.

Having said that, if you go to http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/
you can download the raw patchsets, which include instructions on building
manually outside the ports tree.  Notionally the patchsets for 1.2 through
1.5 will build on FreeBSD 4.x (1.6 won't though).

However, this isn't a simple process, so if you're unfamiliar with building
reasonably complex software then you're probably better off upgrading your
system to a supported version from FreeBSD and using the ports system.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org