Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 01:35:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dchulhan@uwi.tt (Dale Chulhan - Work)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unanswered post(s)

> Hello I asked a very serious question about a FreeBSD based
> version of TiVo and no one replied ...
>
> Any one care to comment?

It's already been done by TiVo and Replay TV.

I guess the question to your non-answer is that if it has
already been done, why would you want to do it over again,
if it's going to cost you more than a TiVo or Replay TV
box, and the only difference is that it's BSD?

If you want to start an Open Source project to do the
deed, start by providing working code that basically does
some of what you want to do.  Working code is what it takes
to start an Open Source project.

I think that you might find yourself in the same boat as
the DECSS folks, the first time someone makes some content
available, like a sports game to a blacked out area.

Personally, I don't think it's an interesting thing to do;
the DVD playing code is interesting, but is stomped on by
the paranoia police.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---