Date:      Thu, 05 Sep 1996 19:55:33 -0500
From:      SMoo <smoo@jump.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD installation

Hello again

 I seem to be running into a few problems installing FreeBSD onto my
system

I FTP'd all the files tht the documentation said were necessary, and
proceed with the installation.

I beet from the boot disk i made with rawrite just fine (so far so good)
I choose a novice install, because i'm truly a novice at the
ionstallation of unix, not at the operation.

I setup my hard drive with the following:

wd0s1  /bogus  2047MB DOS
wd0s2a /        332MB UFS Y
wd0s2b <none>     6MB SWAP

I set the boot manager and make the FreeBSD partition bootable, and
choose continue.

then it asks for the installation medium and i tell it to install from a
dos partition (namely /bogus) in c:\freebsd.

it then gives a few errors saying "/usr file system not found" and
"error decompressing kernel"
, which leads to the errors saying "cannot extract /bin /etc" etc.

I then referred back to the installation help html file, which gave
mention to copy e:\dists c:\freebsd (assuming you're installing from cd)

So i check on the ftp site (ftp3.freebsd.org) and there is no /dists
anywhere...

Can you tell me what I'm doing incorrectly?

Additional info:
the cpu is an amd 5x86 133
hd is western digital caviar 2.56 gig ide
32 mb ram
1.44 and 1.2 floppies
8x creative (sony) cdrom
vlb cirrus logic gd5426 1mb video adapter
hayes optima 336b modem on com3
addtron pnp 100 mip 10base-t nic
iomega ditto 800 mb ext serial tape drive
linksys 5 port uplink hub
256k burst pipeline cache
there is a summit 250 mb tape drive internal, but its completely
disconnected (too much playing, not enough working :)  )
330 watt power supply
the monitor is a panasonic panasynch 1280x1024 monitor .26 pitch

i'm pretty familiar with unix as i work at the aix helpdesk at ibm
austin texas, so "technobabble" doesnt bother me :)

any help you can provide is most appreciated
Steve Goggin