Date:      Tue, 15 May 2018 16:19:39 -0400
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scalar i40 tapechanger LUN appearing as a second tape drive

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 20:00:21 +0200, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> While having to re-surrect a Quantum Scalar i40 LTO5 unit - on a stock  11.1-RELEASE-p6  wired up with a external SAS cable to a HP Smart Array P222 I am seeing:
>
> 	camcontrol devlist
> 	<HP Ultrium 5-SCSI Z6KZ>           at scbus3 target 4 lun 0 (sa0,pass1)
> 	<HP Ultrium 5-SCSI Z6KZ>           at scbus3 target 4 lun 1 (pass2,sa1)
>
> rather than the tape drive on LUN 0 and the tape changer on LUN 1 (the control path is to this drive - the serial number matches - and in like with the web interface details).
>
> dmesg shows:

> 	sa0 at ciss1 bus 32 scbus3 target 4 lun 0
> 	sa0: Serial Number C38CEFF000
> 	sa1 at ciss1 bus 32 scbus3 target 4 lun 1
> 	sa1: Serial Number C38CEFF000
>
> The second drive (Serial C38CEFF004) is not wired up. Or if it is - it nicely shows up at the right (different) target and LUN0, without a second LUN.
>
> Does this ring a bell with any one ? The kernel has ch(4), sa(4) and pass(4) compiled in statically (and is known to work with other tape changers/libraries).

When you hooked other tape changers up, was it to the same machine, and
also to the ciss(4) controller?  Was the configuration the same?

It looks like the array controller is moving things around.

I would suggest taking a look at configuration options for the controller
to see if you can adjust the way it does passthrough.

Or, if you can find one, put a standard SAS controller in there (as opposed
to a RAID controller) and hook that up to the tape library.

It is unlikely that FreeBSD is causing this behavior.  It really looks like
the RAID controller is giving you multiple copies of the same tape drive.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@FreeBSD.ORG