Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 1997 16:14:17 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, lenzi@bsi.com.br
Subject:   Re: pppd & natd problem turnaround..

>I have seen some messages dealing with pppd & natd panicing FreeBSD 2.2
>systems.
>
>The problem arises when a negative m->m_len value is reveived in function
>pppfcs in module sys/net/ppp_tty.c

ISTR this bug from a few years ago.  The fix may have been to fix splimp()
to prevent a race.  2.2 has a similar bug in splimp().  It only occurs
when neither pppd nor slip is configured in the kernel and the pppd LKM
is used.  Do you have this configuration?

>A turnaround is to replace m_len to ZERO whenever is less then zero.
>
>I know it is not the best, but it works for now.

Better find the real bug.  m->m_len < 0 "can't happen".

Bruce