Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:33:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        rdkeys@unity.ncsu.edu (Bob Keys)
Subject:   Need specs for small-medium FBSD based web servers

I have the fun task of obtaining and setting up a pair of FBSD web servers
for some local use.  One will mirror the other.  What I need are some
suggestions or recommendations from the gurus as to what is a good machine.
The guildern are at hand, and must flow shortly or else they be lost.
So, I need to come up with reasonable specs by Friday.

1.  Which release of FBSD would be recommended for server use as a web
    machine?  I run currents on my office boxes and the home boxes,
    but perhaps something a little more stable would be best here.
    2.2.8 or 3.1 RELEASE, or 3.1-STABLE?

2.  What amount of ram would be best for server use.  The machines will
    be used for class distance education, so won't be heavily hit, but
    will have some high hit times sporadically.  I was thinking 128M
    of ram would do.  Would that be sufficient with apache?

3.  Drive space is always at a premium.  If two drives were used per
    machine, what would be a good drive size, 9gig or larger?  If
    4 drives were used for sparing and redundancy, are there any particular
    hardware configurations or controllers or manufacturers that would
    be recommended?  The local heavy hitter seems to be Gateway, around
    here, but I would like to hear from the server admins about as
    to what works and what doesn't, or if other manufacturers are better.

4.  What would be the recommended ethernet board(s) for best use?
    I have always used 3Com on my own machines, and that has worked
    well, but are others any better or are particular boards recommended
    for server use?

5.  A scanner must be usable on one of the machines.  What is a recommended
    scanner that works with FBSD and the software is part of the FBSD suite
    of packages or ports?

6.  A postscript printer must be usable on one of the machines, or maybe
    both.  What models would one recommend these days of HP hardware with
    postscript capability and sufficient ram, etc?

7.  Backup is a must.  What are recommendations for tape backup systems that
    are reliable and work well with FBSD?

8.  Any other gotchas I ought to be aware of?

Thanks, all, and keep FBSD purring..... it is good stuff.
Now, if it only ran on my old suns....

Bob Keys