Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 07:53:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Pedro Vapi <vapi@student.dei.uc.pt>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My dear sio1 (COM2)

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Doug White wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I am going to put here a question not exactly about freebsd, but i am
> > desperated...
> > I have mysteriously losed contact with my sio1. Suddendly, it started to
> > say, sio1: not found at [????]
>

> > I have instaled a modem in the same COM and IRQ. Does it matters?
>
> YES!  They conflict!  Either change the modem or the BIOS to use another
> port.
>
> > I have removed the modem, but it still says it doesn't exists...
>
> Have you checked your BIOS settings?

Yes... and you know what? I have an option for Serial Port 2. The option
for that is, Auto, disable, [...], 2F8,[...]
When i remember to see my bios (after send my mail) i noticed that that
option was DISABLE!!!!
So I changed it to 2F8h
You know what happen?? When I started FreeBSD or DOS and don't use sio1,
no trouble happen, and BIOS keeps unchanged. When i used my sio1 (i tried
to put my mouse there) THE BIOS CHANGE!!!! It automatically changes to
DISABLE!!! I suspect that it is the marvelous PnP...
Doug: thx for ur sugestion but, pleazzzzz, does you have any other
sugestion???
Damn... i can't believe i have to change my board...

Thx in advance... again...

> > Does i need to change my Motherboard?
> > Ah, using DOS or W95 the problem is the same... also, if the problem
> > exists in W95, i wouldn't be surprised, but in FreeBSD it means that a
> > real problem is going with my dear sio1!!! :((((

()'s
Pedro Vapi
---------
vapi@student.dei.uc.pt