Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:27:47 -0900
From:      Brian Raynes <brian_raynes@dnr.state.ak.us>
To:        Steve <stephen@thedenn.com>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Newbies (E-mail)" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Current vs. Release vs. Stable

Steve wrote:

> OK. I've read a number of documents but it's just not sinking in.
> I'm hoping that someone can shed some light on this issue for me.
> What is the difference between the current, release, and stable branches
> of any given version?
>
> thanx in advance.
>
> -steve

Current branch - development branch, newest features are developed and
tested in this branch.  Not necessarily stable and not intended for
production use, except for testing purposes.  The next major release
number with significant new features will come from this branch
eventually.

stable branch - a branch that does not change feature wise very much
at all, but gets bug fixes and occasionally new device drivers -
stresses stability.  Good for general use and production.  There are
actually stable branches for each major release branch (2.x, 3.x,
4.x). 3.x and 4.x are currently maintained.  You can read the feature
list for the x.0 release to differentiate major differences in the
respective branches.

release - a periodic "snapshot" of stable branch. The easiest way to
track the stable branch is to start with the latest release.  Releases
are sold on CD and help to fund development.

That's my newbie understanding of the branches, but I believe it's
pretty accurate.  If in doubt, post to freebsd-questions, there are
more "experts" lurking there :)

Brian