Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 21:22:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        rinunez@telcel.net.ve (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ricardo_N=FA=F1ez?=)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xdm

> Dear Gentlemen,
>
> I was reading "The Complete FreeBSD" book from Greg Lehey, and I just
> installed X11 with no problem.
>
> The problem is that I installed "xdm" as the book says... I mean:
>
> 1) I added the following line to "/etc/ttys":
> ttyv4 "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure
      ^ shouldn't this be 3, ie ttyv3 ?
AFAIK on freshly installed system only devicefiles for ttyv0 to ttyv3 are
allocated.
To get more do a
cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV vty10

This will get you ten virtual terminals.

> I reboot and after that I switch to a graphics mode where it asks me the
> login and password.
>
> FreeBSD seems to accept me, but after a second it logs me out. I canīt log
> as a superuser neither.
>
> I supposed I had to boot in single user mode, but from that mode it doesnīt
> let me neither modify /etc/ttys (I canīt start any editor) nor delete that
> file (it tells me itīs read only).

Try to switch to your system console by pressing <CNTRL><ALT><F1>, login
there and change your /etc/ttys.

If that does not work, boot in single user mode and enter a mount -a
on the command line. This should give you the editor in /usr/bin and
the write permissions in / .
If you still cannot write in the root partition, do a mount -w -u /.

Wolfgang