Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 01:02:59 -0800
From:      gdonl@tsc.tdk.com (Don Lewis)
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stream.c worst-case kernel paths

On Jan 22, 12:29am, Brett Glass wrote:
} At 11:32 PM 1/21/2000 , Don Lewis wrote:
}
} >Actually, I think TH_SYN+TH_RST should immediately go to "drop",
} >do not pass GO, do not collect $200 ...
}
} You're right. Actually, shouldn't RST-<anything else> be tossed,
} since you should never reply to a RST?

While you never reply to a RST, reception of a RST can cause the
state of a connection to change if the packet passes the appropriate
sequence number validation tests.  Both bare RST and RST+ACK packets
are valid, see RFC 793.  I'm pretty sure that RST+FIN and RST+SYN are
not valid and should be dropped.   The code should already handle all
of this, though the checks are distributed throughout the code
instead of being all in one place.