Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2006 21:26:47 -0800
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
To:        Jonathan Horne <freebsd@dfwlp.com>, freebsd general questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: method for installing ports

Jonathan Horne wrote:
> Ive read many many guides found all over the net in the past few days, and
> they can never seem to agree on the way a port is installed.  I see these
> methods:
>
> Make install
> Make install clean
> Make install distclean
>
> What is the difference between the 3, and are there legitimate times when
> one is preferred over the other?

Once you have run make with the 'install' target, you have your software
installed.  You may safely use the software.

The 'clean' target removes the ./work subdirectory.  Some folks might
keep that around for various reasons.  I like to keep the ./work subdir
because I like to poke around in the port's config files and make files
for things I can tweak.  Occasionally I run 'make clean' from /usr/src
to clean EVERY port in the tree to get some disc space back.

The 'distclean' target deletes the downloaded distribution files for
that port in /usr/ports/distfiles.  I rarely do this.

The choice is up to you.  None of the three targets listed is more
correct than the other.

There are many possible targets one can use when running make.  For the
ports collection, poke around in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk to see what
many interesting targets will do.  A make target starts at the beginning
of a line in a makefile and in punctuated by a colon.

sometarget: optional-subtarget another-subtarget

Later,
Jason C. Wells