Date:      Fri, 20 May 2005 13:20:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SATA378 / SATA150 RAID controller supported by 5.4?

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Rob wrote:

> --- Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 May 2005, Rob wrote:
> >
> > > The 'pciconf -lv' tells me:
> > >
> > >  atapci0@pci2:4:0: class=0x010400 card=0x80f51043
> > >                chip=0x3373105a rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
> > >     vendor   = 'Promise Technology Inc'
> > >     device   = 'PDC20378 FastTrak 378/SATA 378
> > >                 RAID Controller'
> > >     class    = mass storage
> > >     subclass = RAID
> > >
> > > But I get this in my dmesg output:
> > >
> > >  atapci0: <Promise PDC20378 SATA150 controller>
> > >   port 0xd880-0xd8ff,0xdfa0-0xdfaf,0xdf00-0xdf3f
> > >   mem 0xfeac0000-0xfeadffff,0xfeafe000-0xfeafefff
> > >     irq 10 at device 4.0 on pci2
> > >  atapci0: failed: rid 0x20 is memory, requested 4
> >
> > That's the PCI busmaster register, although it
> > seems to be the wrong resource type. It should be
> > I/O space, which maps to PCI config space, and
> > not memory-mapped.  I can't seem to find what
> > function emits that message.
> >
> > A full dmesg would be useful.
>
> It's at:
>   http://surfion.snu.ac.kr/~lahaye/dmesg.boot
>
> Does that help?

Yes .. your system has 2 ATA controllers. The RID failure is probably
normal if the other one is present.  The ICH5 southbridge ATA controller
has grabbed the "standard" ports and the Promise ports stack in behind.

To answer the question, yes the Promise controller is supported. You'll
need to connect disks to it if you want to use it though :)

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org