Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 10:29:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gclarkii@main.gbdata.com (Gary Clark II)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, bde@zeta.org.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, nadav@barcode.co.il, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/include/ftpio.h is not C++ safe

> > No.  But I compile code from the FreeBSD source tree on these machines.
> --SNIP--
> > No, but I compile code from the FreeBSD source tree on these machines.
> --SNIP
>
> How many people really do this?  Is it worth the effort to support this
> instead of supporting more modern styles and standards.

Why must this be an either-or-choice?  The point of __P() is that it
is not supposed to be.

As others have pointed out, no CSRG headers are not already safed this
way; it's all third party code, or headers added for FreeBSD internal
abstraction, which aren't compilable.

Much better to compile on all the compilers you can, instead of limiting
yourself.

> > Also, I think you are forgetting that the reason for the UCB license
> > on FreeBSD was so that people could take the code and do what they
> > want with it, including compiling it on "OTHER" systems, not as part
> > of a FreeBSD system.
>
> Does this mean I've got to write my code for those systems?  I don't think
> so....

You're right; it doesn't mean that.  Your code will just work on those
systems as well, if you write it portably.  If not, well, you're free
to restrict your potential market all you want: it's your code.

> Also, I've never said a word about the license (a matter of fact, the license
> I use is less strict than UCBs').  I was just trying to figure out why we
> are trying to support "OLD" systems when we are supposed to be a modern
> OS.  The orignal 4.4-lite files are still out there.  Those can used for
> the older systems.

Since when is "less portable" equal to "more modern"?  This is the
second false dichotomy you've presented me.

Next you will ask me "Yes or No: have you stopped beating your
girlfriend?"...

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org